[ale] Screen resolution in X versus console

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Tue Oct 15 11:00:27 EDT 2013

On 10/15/2013 03:17, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> On 10/14/2013 09:49 PM, Alex Carver wrote:
>> I know I'm missing something somewhere but I haven't been able to figure
>> out what's going on.  I'll need to double check that nouveau is properly
>> blacklisted (I think it is by the installer).
>
> In order to match the console and X11 (and in fact to not switch modes between
> them) you must use a driver with KMS support.  The Nouveau driver allegedly has
> that support for NVIDIA chipsets.
>
> If you'd like to use well-tested KMS support, I recommend getting an ATI/AMD
> graphics card.  The free software driver works great (I have multihead support
> natively, in console, X11 and Weston on a Radeon HD 6400 series.

I don't mind the mode switch as long as it would switch back when
exiting X11 but it doesn't seem to do that.  Nouveau does not work at
all with the GeForces.  Another machine similar to this one but with a
slightly newer nVidia card actually works fine and it's a double headed
system (though the monitors are mirrored in console mode).  The
troublesome machine is only single-head, it just can't seem to switch
back to the console resolution after X11 exits.  As I mentioned to JD I
may just end up disabling the console frame buffer entirely.  I'm not
going to be at console much but having the frame buffer makes reading
all the boot messages a bit easier with the smaller font.

After the console I get to figure out what I blew up in iptables that is
preventing NATting from working.