[ale] mint 13 vm running out of storage space

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Sun Oct 13 18:24:31 EDT 2013

On 10/13/2013 06:15 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> The host computer intentionally doesn't have java on it for security reasons.  So I cannot run eclipse that way.

There is no reason to do that.  That said, if that's what you want to
do, the performance hit is all yours.  :-)

> I was about to get it working, then I ran into this disk space problem.  The emulator won't boot.  I have about 4 hours invested in configuring this vm, so the redoing it route represents a substantial degree of pain.  I may try to delete the swap space and annex some of that digital real estate.

It is a good idea to install "full-featured" VMs with a minimum of 25 GB
of space, all on a single / partition, and as I mentioned in my previous
email, on top of LVM.  This gives you a great deal of flexibility should
you need to grow later---in fact, it's one of the major reasons behind
the existence of LVM.

> You would think you could just click a button in virtualbox and change the hard drive limits.

This is difficult for a number of reasons.

When an operating system is installed on a hard disk---physical or
virtual---it comes with partition tables and partitions on it.  For BIOS
partitions, the partition table exists at the beginning of the disk.
For GPT-formatted disks, which should be used by modern systems, there
are *two* copies of the partition table---one at the beginning of the
disk and one at the end of the disk.

Because this is a virtual *HDD* and *HDD*s cannot be resized, well,
that's a reasonable limitation.

What it boils down to is that you add disk space to a VM the same way
you do to a real host:  Add a second drive and append it to your setup
(if you're using LVM), or create a second drive and move the data over
to it (hopefully putting LVM on that so that you have the ability to
grow later).

    --- Mike

--
Naunet Corporation Logo 	Michael B. Trausch

President, *Naunet Corporation*
? (678) 287-0693 x130 or (855) NAUNET-1 x130
FAX: (678) 783-7843