[ale] Moral or Ethical to think of being a .NET consultant for a Linux lover

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Fri Oct 11 17:39:59 EDT 2013

On 10/10/2013 02:09 PM, Phil Turmel wrote:
> Ok.  You've piqued my interest.  Time to learn another environment.
>
> Thanks, I think.  :-)

I've used C+GObject for some time now.

The really fascinating thing about Objective C is that not only does GCC
support it, but clang does too.  The runtime library is very portable,
meaning that you can write your daemon (for example) on a Linux system,
and it is pretty trivial to move it to other platforms should the need
arise.

With the way that systemd likes things done, too, where daemons no
longer have to double-fork but instead just run on the primary process
and are constrained by cgroups, it makes it very easy.  No longer do you
have to "daemonize" to run properly—just write your daemon to start as a
normal blocking process, and systemd will manage it just fine.
Simplifies development, too, since you just run the process with no
extra command lines during development to run a local/private copy.

But seriously, the API provided is very elegant, and I think it deserves
a place on a list of useful environments somewhere.  Perhaps I'll do a
talk on it in several months—I wouldn't be ready to anytime real soon.

    — Mike

--
Naunet Corporation Logo 	Michael B. Trausch

President, *Naunet Corporation*
☎ (678) 287-0693 x130 or (855) NAUNET-1 x130
FAX: (678) 783-7843