[ale] Ale subscribers

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Fri Oct 11 17:19:53 EDT 2013

Then, I suggest, you need to clearly and specifically state the rules.

Is Android allowed?  Is Unix?  Is flashing mb bios?  What if a person,
such as me, uses Linux, Android, and Windows?  What if someone mentions
MacOS or IOS or Blackberry?  Be specific, if possible.

Then, apply the rules equally and fairly.

As far as I can tell, that will dramatically cut down on the list
traffic, not including any traffic that I may generate.

Ron

On 10/11/2013 4:54 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:

> If I moderate 1 person, I'm moderating everyone until the s/n ratio is
> better.
>
> No more OT posts. I'll make an ale-chat that's a free for all (I won't
> be subscribing to it). No more tantrums about <pick a topic>.
>
> ALE has done its job. It fed the Atlanta area as Linux was in its
> infancy. It put together what many people remember as the best Linux
> trade shows in the country. It spawned multiple off shoots, NW and NE,
> and even got noticed overseas.
>
> But all that was done by people who were passionate about Linux and
> GNU tools and GPL licensed stuff.
>
> I'm one of the lucky ones. I managed to turn an obsession into a
> career. I get paid to play with other peoples toys!  Along the way I
> got to learn a lot from the ALE list about Linux. Somewhere along the
> way I realized I was answering more than I was asking. At one point I
> realized my questions were going unanswered as if I was asking for
> information that was not available from ALE.
>
> I'm tired. I've done 60-80 hour work weeks since 1997. But I'm not
> tired of why I subscribed to ALE. I am very tired of seeing ALE get
> hijacked.
>
> --So--
>
> OT posts on main ALE list will get a public thrashing notice. Repeats
> will be brainwashed into wanting to only use Windows Vista or dropped
> from the list or something else equally suitable. Maybe made to bring
> munchies to a meeting and then required to do pushups or sit ups. I
> doubt many Alters could do more than 2-3.
>
> I'll make the ale-chat list shortly.
>
> On Oct 11, 2013 4:16 PM, "Jerald Sheets" <questy at gmail.com
> <mailto:questy at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I don't think so, really.  I think it's time a few hateful people
>     got moderated a bit, though.
>
>     Jerald Sheets
>     Sent from my iPhone5
>
>     On Oct 11, 2013, at 4:09 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com
>     <mailto:jim.kinney at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>>     At the time I took over as admin a number of years ago (7,8?),
>>     there were about 1600 subscribers.
>>     About a year ago, ALE had about 1600 subscribers.
>>     We are now below 500.
>>
>>     I no longer get notified when people unsubscribe as I turned it
>>     off several months ago. Sad, really.
>>
>>     Is it time to pull the plug?

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.