[ale] Moral or Ethical to think of being a .NET consultant for a Linux lover

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Thu Oct 10 11:03:16 EDT 2013

On 10/10/2013 09:54 AM, Jay Lozier wrote:
> NET is M$ only while Java, php, etc are platform independent. I do not
> know much about Apple and Android programming but .NET code will not run
> on them. If cross platform or tablet/smartphone development is important
> I would look at languages that are supported cross platform and are
> typically (or easily installed) on a device.

Please do some basic research before speaking about such things.  This
information is plain incorrect.

There has been a high-quality CLR (a.k.a. ".NET") runtime available for
non-Microsoft platforms /*from the very beginning*/.  Microsoft itself
developed implementations for Linux and BSD, and has now even
open-source some of those components.

The Mono runtime is an excellent implementation and is very much
complete---there isn't a whole heck of a lot that you can't do on it.
Source (and binary) compatibility exists and functions for everything
I've tried.

The GNU runtime (Portable.NET) is a little less complete, but it works.
Things that don't use the GUI work a lot better than things that do, but
it works well and implements both source and binary compatibility with
the reference Microsoft implementation.

Insofar as Apple's APIs, they are offspring of OpenStep, which is itself
an offspring of NeXTSTEP.  It also has several different
implementations; the most complete one that I am aware of that is not
Apple's is from GNU.  Source compatibility exists with care.

Android is programmed using Java code and APIs (even though the binary
runtime is actually somewhat different).  Android is therefore source
compatible with Java (to a degree).

    --- Mike

--
Naunet Corporation Logo 	Michael B. Trausch

President, *Naunet Corporation*
? (678) 287-0693 x130 or (855) NAUNET-1 x130
FAX: (678) 783-7843