[ale] Web hosting query

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Sat Oct 5 19:06:40 EDT 2013

On 10/5/2013 6:21 PM, JD wrote:
> On 10/05/2013 06:14 PM, Jack Schneider wrote:
>
>> Hi,Jim
>>
>> 	Since I've been a "super-lurker" for 6+ years and have not
>> 	contributed. A big minus I think. I have enjoyed the
>> 	personality and learning of/from the folks here.
>> 	Is there someone you can recommend someone who runs, owns or
>> 	works at knows about, a web hosting service, other than Network
>> 	Solutions. I have used them (NETSOL) for since it was ATT/
>> 	Interland? 10 years I think.  I now have been thoroughly
>> 	discouraged by their business practices and attitude.
>> 	I am going to move our business elsewhere. ASAP!
>> 	If you have a moment drop me a reply..
>>

> The answer for the best provider will completely depend on your requirements.
> For static files at niche domains, nearlyfreespeech.net is completely awesome.
> Of course, they have some of the offerings that full-service providers like
> Rackspace provide.
>
> If you need a cage to put equipment that you own, then .... I only know high-end
> providers that almost nobody will want.
>
> If your business is that critical, using different providers at least 500 miles
> apart which use different internet connections is an important decision too. You
> probably know this already.

Hi Jack,

Yea, what he said.  Tell us a bit about what you want to do.

I've used http://www.1and1.com/ for many years for basic web hosting and
email service.  I like them and recommend them.  They do have decent
telephone tech support, but you may have to wait on hold for a while.
Most vendors these days are lots of DIY with automated control panels
and such and not much direct hand holding.

Based on hearsay and advertisements only, not personal experience, I'd
recommend https://www.squarespace.com/ for straightforward DIY drag and
drop design with the possibility of getting more sophisticated.  They
manage all the hard back end stuff and security for you.

I posted another message on ALE on 09/27/13 at 3:35 PM EDT which also
talks about squarespace and has some discount info.

Sincerely,

Ron