[ale] ignorance, just ignorance

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Oct 3 11:49:56 EDT 2013

On 10/3/2013 9:42 AM, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> On 10/02/2013 03:46 PM, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
>>
>> Anyway,
>>
>> I have this thumb drive named {thumb1} I need to rename it [thumb2]
>>
>> so, as root, I did this:
>>
>> cd /media
>>
>> mv thumb1 thumb2
>>
>> and was told that 'device or resource busy.'
>>
>> But if I unmount the thumb drive, then it isn't seen by the OS, and
>> there isn't anything to rename.
>>

> I know that you've already solved the renaming part, but I thought I'd
> offer an explanation for this.
>
> When anything is mounted on a directory, the directory becomes a
> /mount point/.  That mount point is special in that it cannot be
> renamed or moved, as it is "in use" by the filesystem which is mounted
> on it.
>
>> So, how do I rename this thing?
>>

> For future reference, here are commands for renaming/relabeling
> various filesystems:
>
>     * ext2/3/4: tune2fs -L <NEWNAME> /dev/foo
>     * btrfs: btrfs filesystem label <NEWNAME> /dev/foo
>     * FAT12/16/32: fatlabel /dev/foo <NEWNAME>
>     * exFAT: ???
>
> For ISO9660 and UDF, the filesystem names are set at creation.
>
> These are just the ones I know.  I am sure that JFS, XFS, ZFS, etc.
> all have their own commands as well.
>
>     --- Mike
>
> --
> Naunet Corporation Logo 	Michael B. Trausch
>
> President, *Naunet Corporation*
> ? (678) 287-0693 x130 or (855) NAUNET-1 x130
> FAX: (678) 783-7843

Hi all,

I only read the first message in this thread and the last couple
including the one quoted above.  I don't know what happened in between.

Here's a cool GUI way to rename a thumb drive, or any drive if you can
dismount it.  Both Mint / Mate and Ubuntu (pre Unity) have a GUI app
called Disk Utility.  I don't remember which menu heading it's under,
probably system or accessories.  You can also search for it.  If you
system doesn't have it, you can install gnome-disk-utility from the
repositories.

Plug in your memory stick, then start the program.  All your drives
should appear on the left.  Then select the memory stick on the left pane.

On the right, click the Unmount button.  Click the Edit File System
Label button.  Change the label to whatever you want and click OK or
Apply or whatever confirmation button is there.  You should be good to
go.  You can click the Mount button to remount the device or click the
safe removal button and you can remove the device.

Just thought I'd pass it along.

Sincerely,

Ron