[ale] CentOS keeps rebooting

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 23:26:31 EST 2013

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 10:57 PM, David Ritchie <deritchie at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 8:04 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> That's very useful but sort of sad. Caps are not supposed to be wear
>> components :-(
>>

> Well, a lot of these were produced by one major Japanese component company
> that evidently had built capacitors with the wrong
> electrolyte. A ton of manufacturers had bad CPU boards that developed over
> time as a result. I have done a couple of motherboards and monitors
> repairs  by replacing these, but it can be a bit tedious work (remove the
> motherboard from the cabinet to get access to both sizes, determine
> the sizes and quantities of parts needed, order said parts, wait for parts
> to arrive, and install). I have found a place in Chamblee that carried
> a lot of these part on hand, but it isn't very convenient to me comparied
> to UPS.
>
> This problem also occurs on any device with electrolytic capacitors that
> does not have power applied to it for a while. A common thing with
> ham radios is to bring up the device slowly on lower voltage to allow time
> for the electrolyte to reform, but it is far from a certain thing that
> a very old capacitor will reform. Electrolytic caps are problematic over
> time in any cas. That is why you are seeing motherboards that
> advertise solid capacitors - they don't have this problem.

I have seen the solid cap advertising but wrote it off as "advertising".
Did not know of the aging issue with electrolytic capacitors. Must go dig
of physics of this failure process now.

I remember the bad cap mess from the late 90's. Once company built a
zillion bootleg caps (and supposedly used plain tap water). The builder for
Gateway got hit hard with a vast quantity of these and Gateway nearly
failed. HP, Dell and IBM also got hit. I had just received all new Gateway
systems for the labs I ran at Emory when this hit the fan. The PC's we got
were not affected but all the monitors failed within a month or so. Gateway
just gave up and sent us new ones  and didn't wait for the rest to fail
after the first 6 of 30 died. The rest died about the time the truck backed
into the loading dock with the new ones.

> -- David "Almost became an EE" Ritchie

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*