[ale] Two port serial board

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Nov 12 14:49:17 EST 2013

Today I received 10 2 port PCI serial boards in the mail. These use a
standard 16C550 UART.

I've used boards like this before, but this one does something I've not
seen before.

The kernel does not see any additional ttys.  I do not see ttyS2 and S3
in dmesg output.   I looked at the CD and the "driver" is an
executable.  I ran it and straced it.   I saw no attempts at writing
anything.  I saw it open up PCI addresses in /sys and do a read from them.

After this completed there was still not tty message in dmesg, but I
could open ttyS2 and ttyS3.

Anyone know what sorcery this is?

Chris