[ale] USB 3G/4G Modems

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Mon Nov 11 22:07:32 EST 2013

On 11/08/2013 02:44 PM, Chris Fowler wrote:
> I'm on Alibaba looking for a source of standard USB modems.  I see many
> 3G/4G modems and now that I have a plan with Verizon that allows me to
> attach a device (for a fee) to the shared data plan I'm tempted to try one.
>
> Anyone doing this?  Are there certain chipsets I should be looking for?

I poked around a bit a year or so ago and ended up with a Pantech UML290
bought from Amazon.  I had to pass it through to a Windows VM one time
to update its firmware and activate w/ Verizon, but I otherwise use it
directly with pppd in my gentoo laptop.

I'd be happy to share my scripts if you pick it.

Phil