[ale] What would you like to see in an "Intro to Linux" Course.

Beddingfield, Allen allen at ua.edu
Wed Nov 6 16:34:12 EST 2013

Good points.
For moving to Linux as a desktop, the following are going to have to work for users:
1.  EVERY website.  If they hit some site that they normally frequent and have a problem, they will blame the browser, Linux, etc...  That is becoming less of a problem, but Flash is the big obstacle here.  It isn't being updated for Firefox, etc... anymore, so the only way to get modern flash support on Linux is through Chrome.  Some discussion of this situation should be included.

2.  Printers.  They are going to want to print off pictures of the grandchildren.  Most of the consumer-grade inkjets are not going to work.  Some discussion of what to buy should be included.

--
Allen Beddingfield
Systems Engineer