[ale] [semi OT] encouraging and discouraging HDD and SSD observations

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 14:44:15 EST 2013

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Brian MacLeod <nym.bnm at gmail.com> wrote:

> To some folks chagrin, I'm about to continue this subject, but it's
> because I feel this is now a point on which I can hopefully shed some
> light on why buying one hard drive at a time is a bad idea, and
> encourage those in the community to think a little farther ahead to
> save time and money.
>
> Most of that commentary is at the end, so if you'd like to skip to
> that and avoid my rebuttals, go ahead.

Good stuff, Brian. I've used similar arguments to get cheapskates to buy
decent gear instead of the least expensive walmart crap. My time has value.
If I'm doing admin at home it's work at the same rate as I charge for my
employment. Of course I don't pay myself. But it does come out of _MY_ time
and that is far more valuable to me than work pay rate.

No one gets to their death bed and says "I wish I had spent more time at
work.".

Drive warranty is based on the tested engineering capability of the drive.
Think of the drive warranty as the point at which the manufacturer expects
to begin to see returns.  So a 1 -3 year drive is crap. It has a likelihood
of failure in the timeframe of the non-failure of the enterprise drives. So
I get a 5 drive pile using at least 2 different makers and build a RAID10
with 1 drive hot spare. ANY drive issue is cause for a new drive. The hot
spare takes over and I replace the drive with the error and have a new hot
spare. 5 year drives running 24x7 for 8 years with really decent cooling.
I'm close to an array upgrade. Will do the same thing again with bigger
drives and add an extra fan to make a push-pull cooling setup for the
drives.

Oh. I use different makers in the the mirrors so a maker failure won't
toast my array. Best money I EVER spent was the 10 tape carousel backup
system and the time I spent learning how to use bacula.
James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*