[ale] [semi OT] encouraging and discouraging HDD and SSD observations

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Sat Nov 2 04:58:45 EDT 2013

On 11/01/2013 09:01 AM, Lightner, Jeff wrote:

> You're implying the 8 GB drive in my Intel 486 / Windows 95 system is
> obsolete?

Not if it's still useful.

That said, I'd consider it "dead" if it's not backed up.  If it has been
in constant service, though, and is still working, then more power to it.

My goal is to always be ready for drive failure.  I've had drives die 2
days after installation, and I've had drives run for 10 years.
(Typically after that long, though, I'm out of space on them and need to
upgrade anyway, but that's just me.)

     --- Mike

--

	Michael B. Trausch

President, *Naunet Corporation*
? (678) 287-0693 x130 or (855) NAUNET-1 x130
FAX: (678) 783-7843