[ale] OT shingled magnetic recording can double a hdd capacity

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Sat Jun 29 19:17:14 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I heard about this on the This Week In Computer Hardware podcast and
thought you might find it interesting.

http://twit.tv/twich

www.pdl.cmu.edu/PDL-FTP/FS/CMU-PDL-12-105.pdf

http://www.google.com/search?q=Shingled+Magnetic+Recording+%28SMR%29&btnG=Search&hl=en&biw=&bih=&gbv=1

It's a technique called shingled magnetic recording.  It seems that the
modern hard drives write tracks much wider than is necessary for the
read head to read from.  Normally, each track has a distinctive (but
very tiny) gap between it and the next track.  This gap is dictated by
the minimum width of space the write head needs to get in there and
rewrite sectors at random.

However, if you give up the ability to do totally random writes, you can
double the capacity of the drive by writing overlapping tracks, like
shingles on a roof.

Let's say you write track 1, then you step the head 1/2 track over,
rather than a full track.  Then, you write track 2.  Then, you step 1/2
track over again, where track 2 would have been, and you write track 3.
Then you do track 4 the same way.  You've written 4 tracks in the space
that would have previously held 2.  The read head can still read them
with minimal modifications.  So, with just a small mechanical,
electrical, firmware tweak, you've doubled the capacity of the drive.

The catch is that if you try to rewrite any track, you'll erase part of
the adjacent track.  So, you have to rewrite the entire drive at once to
rewrite anything.

There is a way around that, and that is to write the tracks in bands.
Each band is written in shingled mode, so each band has to be rewritten
all at once.  However, the bands have a normal track gap between them.
So, you can rewrite one band at a time rather than the whole disk.

The tracks on a modern drive are mind bogglingly small.  According to this:

http://storageeffect.media.seagate.com/2011/11/storage-effect/the-period-at-the-end-of-a-sentence-is-1000000-nanometers-wide/

There are 340 THOUSAND tracks per inch which means they're only 75
NANOMETERS wide.  That's somewhere between the size of a virus and an
anti body.

Let's say there are 340,000 tracks on a drive platter.  Let's say you
divide that into 1000 bands of data, which are all shingled.  Let's say
you give up a track each time you leave a gap between bands, so you give
up 1000 tracks.  You still have 339,000 tracks to play with.  Since the
shingled tracks are half width tracks, you've essentially doubled the
drive.  If you have 1000 data bands on what is now an 8 TB drive, you'd
have to rewrite data in 8 GB segments to rewrite a data band.

These numbers are made up, except for TPI, but you get the idea.

We're probably not going to see applications of this any time soon since
there would need to be hardware and software standards and OS and
controller awareness.  However, to me, it's a fascinating concept.  I
wish I could figure out how to implement it on my on in a file system
driver or something.

Sincerely,

Ron