[ale] Cheap tablets?

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Sat Jun 22 00:31:38 EDT 2013

On 6/21/2013 21:11, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> Here's another: 7" for $34.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Camera-Monitor-Support-Rotating-Screen/dp/B007SLDF7O/ref=sr_1_67?ie=UTF8&qid=1371874170&sr=8-67&keywords=raspberry+pi
>

> Ron
>
> On 6/21/2013 11:43 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I couldn't resist posting this link to a 3.5" lcd display for $17 that
>> you could use with a raspberry pi.  I don't know anything about it,
>> but it looks cool.  I have a little anniversary money to spend.  May
>> have to buy a pi before the night's over.  Maybe Alex could use a pi
>> and this screen instead of an android tablet.  Of course, the price
>> goes up as you add wifi, power supply, case, memory, etc.
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/3-5-Inch-TFT-Monitor-Automobile/dp/B0045IIZKU/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1371870730&sr=8-31&keywords=raspberry+pi

It's a thought that I've had before.  I may consider it because I could
use it as my ssh tunnel, too.  Right now I have a Meraki running as my
tunnel end point but I'd like to use the Meraki for other things.

I was also considering GuruPlugs to replace my mail server but that
would have a spinning drive so not quite as convenient as an all flash
RPi that boots up fast (much like the Meraki reboots quickly if power
fails which is why I'm using it for the endpoint).

Power I've got (5V 50A supply sitting on my desk, I use it as a charging
station), I don't use wifi unless the item in question is truly portable
so I just need the SD card and a box to go with the RPi.