[ale] OT Google's cute animation drives tablet cpu hard

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Fri Jun 21 16:01:20 EDT 2013

Alex Carver <agcarver+ale at acarver.net> wrote:

>On 6/21/2013 10:49, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
>
>> Just running an Acer A500 Android tablet with Dolphin web browser.
>> According to a quick search on the web, the tablet has a dual core,
>1000
>> MHz, ARM Cortex-A9 CPU and 1 GB ram.  They just upgraded the Dolphin
>> software, and it seems slower than before at loading pages.  I cannot
>> say how the old Dolphin would react to this gif file since I've never
>> had a chance to test that.
>>
>> This animated gif doesn't seem to bother my Firefox on my pc at all.
>Of
>> course, my smallest pc that I normally use has a dual core 2 Ghz (I
>> think) pentium cpu and 8 GB of ram.
>
>So open Google's page on Chrome or Firefox on the tablet and see how
>their rendering engines do.  If the CPU still pegs then there's a
>fundamental problem.  If the CPU behaves normally then Dolphin has a
>rendering problem.

Hi Alex,

According to the cool tool utility which monitors cpu usage, Firefox adds 15% to the cpu usage on the tablet when running this particular animated gif.  Dolphin adds 40%.  I think they screwed up the code in their update somehow.  I'm going to email them about it.  Thanks for the tip.

Sincerely,

Ron