[ale] OT Fwd: Dc404-Chat New smart locks for your home

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Wed Jun 19 10:56:58 EDT 2013

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013, William Bagwell wrote:

> On Wednesday 19 June 2013, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
>> I don't want to even get started on rf based credit cards.  Steve's been
>> reporting on various cases of those being abused again.  If I get one of
>> those, I'm sending it back or zapping it in the microwave oven.  I wonder
>> if that would destroy the magnetic strip.
>
> /Supposedly/ you can hole punch a corner away from the stripe, destroying the
> rf grid and keeping the magnetic stripe intact. Have not confirmed this bit
> of information and hoping our old cards will continue to work next month.
> Same account number, however the three digit extra number has changed...
>
> Depending on the company involved, sending them back is not an option.

I carry mine in one of these:

http://www.umbra.com/ustore/product/460330-289.store

It took me over 2 years, but I wore one out. $7.00
and nearly industructable. It and cash are all I usually carry,
my ID's and Credit Cards fit in this really well.

It currently holds: 3 government issues ID cards, 2 cards related to
health insurance and 4 credit cards and 1 RFID access card.

I've not been able to scan cards that are inside of it...