[ale] heads up - warning - you could be sharing comcast wifi without knowing it

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 11:24:04 EDT 2013

On Jun 12, 2013, at 10:44 AM, "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner at water.com> wrote:

> I don’t see the original in this thread.
>
> Is Comcast putting wireless routers in homes and making them publically available?

In short "yes".

So tell me folks.. I've been out of the area over the last couple years.

I've always and only ever gotten Comcast Business Class.  In each case, I've been able to login to the router myself, and have been able to configure, turn off, open ports, yada yada yada.

I've always disabled anything I didn't want and brought the pipe into my Firewall, putting my wifi point on the protected network.  It would seem that wouldn't change for business class users, seeing that you have a much higher likelihood of having HIPAA, SOX, PCI, ITIL, etc. data on your network.  Those items ALONE are enough to whack Comcast with a federal compliance sized stick and say "cut it out".

Do you guys think they've even come close to thinking that one through?  :D

I think that once users point out they have personal data on their network and have every intention of pursuing them legally if they do that in their home, this one just might quietly die.

--jms