[ale] [OT] how do I monitor the "weather" in my computer room

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Thu Jun 6 16:53:32 EDT 2013

>3) Once I have this tiny web page with my temperature data in it, how
>do I set up a micro tiny pico web server, just to serve up less than a
>dozen web pages, just on the LAN, not WAN?

Well, if you can get it down to one page, you can use this little trick:

while true; do nc -l 80 < index.html; done

The 'nc' command is netcat. It'll only accept one request at a time and it'll always reply with that index.html (it's ignoring the URL you request), but it might work for your purposes. It might not be installed by default, but it's most likely in your distro's repository. Of course, with the above you'd have to run it sometime. If you want to do a few pages and you want it to start automatically, it might be easier just to go ahead and install Apache. Configuring it to serve a few static pages usually involves little more than installing via your repository and placing the files wherever it's expecting them. (You might try /var/www/html or /srv/www/htdocs).