[ale] rpm's src vs binary and the confusion

Scott McBrien smcbrien at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 08:44:53 EDT 2013

Yes, usually the make file of the OSS you're packaging will take care of moving things for the install, buy because you don't have a makefile, you get to do all the moving of the files yourself.  You might have to jiggle the copy command you're using.  I can't remember if the cwd of the rpmbuild is the SOURCES directory or the untarred sourcecode dir, I think it's the latter.

%files is certainly not a dummy section, it is the file payload manifest for the rpm metadata.  One trick to make it is to run the build without it, then copy the list of files from the build error that's produced.  That will save you some typing.

-Scott