[ale] WAY OT controlling asian tiger mosquitos and others

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Tue Jul 30 06:54:01 EDT 2013

30% deet. There is no substitute or there wasn't until Picaridin.  I've been
places that are famous for flying insects, including mosquitoes.  At one of
these places, even 30% deet wasn't enough to keep a horse fly from biting.

Picaridin has also been proven to be effective. Doesn't have the negatives of
Deet from what I read, but it is harder to find in the USA.

Also, remove all sources of standing water to limit the breeding area for the
little buggers.

I have given bug zappers as wedding presents. Enjoyment for the entire family,
but I have doubts about total effectiveness. The NYT article confirms.

I would check Consumer Reports for any non-standard solutions.
Google on "consumer reports mosquitoes" showed some interesting results.