[ale] OT Just bought my 1st & 2nd "lighting-class" LED bulbs

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 24 12:22:45 EDT 2013

"Michael H. Warfield" <mhw at WittsEnd.com> writes:

> On Tue, 2013-07-23 at 16:45 -0400, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
>> Sure,
>>
>> You can just go to Home Depot and look for the Cree 60W warm white LED
>> in blue packaging on a blister card.
>
>> Or, on the web:
>
>> http://www.creebulb.com/bulbs/warmsoft-white-led-bulb-60-watt-replacement?lang=us-en
>
>> The specific model number I bought is:
>
>> BA19-08027OMF-12DE26-1U100
>
> I have bought those and also the "Ecosmart" smart brand.  Seems to be a
> Homedepot label rebrand (URLs point to HD.  60 Watt equivalent output
> (800 lumens) drawing 12 watts of power or 40 Watt (450 Lumens)
> equivalent output drawing 6W.  3000K color temp.
>
> Visually, comparing equivalent LED and CFLs side by side, I find the
> LEDs subjectively appear to be brighter (probably because the light
> emits from a much smaller surface) and seems more natural (to me) than
> the CFLs.
>
> I've completely stopped purchasing CFLs.

The Cree 60W bulb is very highly rated by Consumer Reports.  They also,
apparently, now have a 65W BR30 LED Replacement as well.  I'm excited
about that, but still not ready to shell out $15 each to replace the
dozens of BR30s in my house.  I'll wait until I finish the box of BR30s
I bought 2 years ago (which at my current rate of burnout will take me
another 2-3 years, and by then the LEDs should be cheaper).

-derek