[ale] Making the argument for many scripts vs one big one.

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 08:59:23 EDT 2013

The only advantage the one big script has is it saves a pile of file open
calls. But every file needs to be a function in the one big script.

I've written and maintained both forms. Some people's heads explode when I
talk about bash scripts that are over 800 lines. Those have dozens of
functions. Other bash apps have a called script that's 30-50 lines that
calls 15-30 other scripts.
The difference between these two forms is how they start. The many small
scripts version usually begins as each script is written to solve a
problem. Eventually, it makes to glue the many automation scripts into a
single app.
The one big script usually begins as a new design process.