[ale] musings on the insides of an ssd - part 2

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Tue Jul 23 14:31:45 EDT 2013

Hi Boris,

Thanks for the link.  I scanned over the article you mentioned briefly.  It looks pretty interesting.  Reading about all the errors that can occur in MLC flash doesn't inspire too much confidence in the technology.  Hopefully, the ssd builders have a handle on those problems.  Sounds like they imply that the cheaper products might not be as well researched and designed.  Sounds like you're getting into the tech details much more than most.  Good luck with that.  Sounds like quite a challenge.

This article mentions power fail protection a number of times.  This is a feature that enterprise ssd's are more likely to have and consumer ones not so much.  An unprotected power failure can do really ugly things to flash memory, so how ssd's handle it is something people might want to look into when buying an ssd.

Sincerely,

Ron

Boris Borisov <bugyatl at gmail.com> wrote:

>I've been reading recently about filesystems on bare flash because I
>had to
>understand its basics to repair/reflash my toy netbook
>. In particular Ubifs.
>
>http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubifs.html
>
>This is filesystem used in tablets, mp3 players, small netbooks and it
>is
>designed to work on bare flash memory. The Linux driver takes care for
>writing, reading, storing of any metadata and balancing of these across
>the
>flash drive to prevent wearing of the flash memory of specific areas.
>But
>you can read more in the link above.
>
>In SSD drivers I guess there are specific internals/controllers to
>takes
>care about wearing issue and is been tested and there is probably the
>same
>algorithms working for the job to get done.
>

>On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) <
>atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've found some more ssd information that I want to share.
>>
>> Here is a great document to look at, the Dell SSD FAQ.  It's about 2
>years
>> old, but still has some really good data.

-snip-