[ale] [OT] Cars and licensing... (Was: Re: Well, this does nothing for the reputation of Linux)

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Mon Jul 22 18:58:55 EDT 2013

On 7/22/2013 13:15, JD wrote:
> On 07/22/2013 02:52 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
>> I'm a growing fan of "turnabouts" as a replacement for traffic lights. It takes
>> some getting used to but it's (nearly) zero maintenance. And the center can be a
>> nice planting with some beefy steel crash bars.
>>

> I prefer roundabouts to turnabouts. Hard for large trucks to use either, I
> guess. We know intersections in our residential feeders where a roundabout would
> work better than current 3-minute lights.

There are some roundabouts on the ramps for I-5 a bit north of Santa
Clarita (Hasley Canyon Road) and on a couple on other Interstate ramps
scattered around the country.  Takes you by surprise at first but the
wild thing is not having to make a dead stop at the bottom/top of the
ramp for cross traffic or a light, just wander into the loop and back out.