[ale] [OT] Cars and licensing... (Was: Re: Well, this does nothing for the reputation of Linux)

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 15:50:26 EDT 2013

Ah yes the turnabout. Very extensively used in Massachusetts, especially
along route 3a the main road/highway in Cape Cod. It was also at one of
these round abouts at age 17 I learned all about the wonderment of
Hydroplaning. I was a little late leaving from the "elbow" of the Cape
to get to work at the resturant I was working at. I had to drive back to
Milton first (roughly the same distance as ATL airport is from downtown
Atlanta- from Boston) to take a friend home and then back to Cohasset.
It was also raining pretty heavy and my tires weren't in the greatest
shape either. I was kind of pushing it and hadn't slowed down soon
enough. I wound up taking the short cut, straight through, taking a
couple of signs with me. Fortunately there was relatively no traffic at
that time, but it sort of shook me up a bit.

On 07/22/2013 02:52 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> I'm a growing fan of "turnabouts" as a replacement for traffic lights.
> It takes some getting used to but it's (nearly) zero maintenance. And
> the center can be a nice planting with some beefy steel crash bars.
>

> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 2:46 PM, Jim Lynch
> <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com <mailto:ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     On 07/22/2013 02:01 PM, Brian MacLeod wrote:

>         On 7/22/13 1:33 PM, Sparr wrote:
>
>             I'm reading this from the point of view of a person
>             approaching a
>             flashing red light. How am I to know whether cross traffic has
>             flashing red or flashing yellow?
>

>     This is an interesting study on the topic.  Their solution is to
>     have most intersections red/red except in the case of a very busy
>     roadway intersecting a very lightly traveled roadway.
>
>     http://transportation.ce.__gatech.edu/malfunction
>     <http://transportation.ce.gatech.edu/malfunction>

> James P. Kinney III
> ////
> ////Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What
> you gain at one end you lose at the other. It's like feeding a dog on
> his own tail. It won't fatten the dog.
> - Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain
> ////
> http://electjimkinney.org
> http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
> ////

Sent from my home PC running Fedora18 to you and NSA, FBI, CIA, HSA
and God only knows who else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!