[ale] Dabbling with XDMCP

Dustin Strickland dustin.h.strickland at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 20:26:50 EDT 2013

I attempted to set up some of my grandfather's Kubuntu computers with XDMCP
about a week ago. After working on it for most of the night, I got
frustrated and gave up. Since, he has fixed it so he can do remote logins,
claiming that all he had to do was install a package that he can't remember
the name of. Now I'm trying to do the same with my computers, using the
slightly different Linux Mint 14 KDE. As far as I can tell from the man
pages and search results, I have KDM set up properly to allow for remote
logins on both computers. However, when I select remote login from the
login screen, it will not allow me to type anything in the textbox. I've
checked and checked, and then checked again. Does anyone happen to know
where a beginner might go wrong with this?