[ale] Web based file storage

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Fri Jul 19 10:59:16 EDT 2013

On 07/19/2013 08:50 AM, Chuck Payne wrote:
> There is a webbased svn out there, I don't have the name in front of
> me. But, have you thought about using ownCloud? You can set up on any
> computer or mobile device. I use as a sys admin to keep my scripts in
> a central place. If I don't have an agent install I can use any ole
> browser.  Not that you would need it. But it has other items build
> into music player, calendar, contacts, and pictures.

I installed OwnCloud v5.0.6 a few weeks ago.
There were enough "issues" with it that the VM was powered down.
* syncs worked, but any non-trivial files (like 1 music album) took 30 hours.
* Music player did work
* contacts could only be importaned in Vcard ... thunderbird doens't support
vcard. Ended up exporting in LDIF, running a conversion script to vcard,
importing into OwnCloud.  Only the primary email and primary phone number were
displayed or exported from owncloud. Most other data contact was lost too.  I
had hoped to remove all google accounts from my Android devices and only use
contacts from Owncloud.  I really hate google having my contacts. HATE, HATE,
HATE it.
* Photo gallery appeared to work as designed. If you like the default gallery,
great.
* The OwnCloud server was always using at least 30% of the CPU even when no sync
had been required from either client in days. I only had 2 clients setup.
* Never tried the CalDAV stuff - didn't research it too much after the contacts
issue. There wasn't an intuitive way to transfer 300+ calendar entries over.
* Uploading stuff thorugh the web interface worked - pushed 400 photos from
recent trips up that way.
* Everything was attempted on a wired, GigE network that normally has 650Mbps
transfers. Just sayin'.

I had high hopes for Owncloud and plan to check back in a few months.  I'd love
to know what I did wrong in my setups. I did replace mysql with MariaDB, but
besides that, it was 100% stock.

In the meantime, I **know** that rsync works and I can count on it working.