[ale] Web based file storage

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Fri Jul 19 10:26:32 EDT 2013

One option is the Jungledisk client ( jungledisk.com ) linked to Amazon S3 storage or possibly Rackspace storage.  Rackspace now owns Jungledisk, but i've always used S3 for my online backups.  Originally, that was the only option.  Map a local drive letter or directory to the remote server.  You can drag and drop files to and from the remote system.  This is done through the client software, but you can do web access.  I've never tried that.  You have to account for the time delay to transmit big files to the cloud due to bandwidth limits.

I believe the current costs are a few dollars per month for maintenance, $ 0 to upload (I think), $ 0.15-0.18 / GB / Mo for storage, and $ 0.15-0.18 / GB to download data back down.

I think individual files are limited to 5 GB.  Aggregate space is whatever you want to pay for.  But, let's say you only wanted to store 10 GB, your cost would be under $ 10 / mo.  If you want 1000 GB, you'd be closer to $ 200 / mo.

Data is saved in multiple redundant geographically dispersed locations.

This is definitely a remote server, limited by wan bandwidth.  If you want a local server, this would not apply.

Sincerely,

Ron