[ale] trimming messages - was Old host you want to unload?

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Tue Jul 16 21:11:12 EDT 2013

JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:

>> I'll admit I can get wordy.  I like to explore topics in depth,
>hopefully
>> sharing useful info with others and learning myself.  I wasn't
>wondering
>> about the size cap so much as the concept that Jim appears to have to
>delete
>> 300 - 500 garbage messages per day.  He's obviously not talking about
>the
>> messages that do post to the list.  I wonder if there is a way to
>lighten
>> that load.
>
>Any messages NOT from authorized listsrv users are moderated. Large
>messages
>over a threshold size are also moderated.  At least these are my
>understandings.
>I ran a listsrv on Linux for years, but didn't use mailman, so I'm not
>certain
>of the capabilities.
>
>Sometimes I use the wrong email account to reply to a post. I suspect
>others do
>this too.  Then there is all the spam email that gets sent, but trapped
>by the
>list manager software. Some, if not all, of these have to be manually
>handled.
>That usually means "deletion."
>
>Spam is close to my heart, as you know personally.  I block over 90% of
>all
>email to my mail servers just using dynamic block lists from external
>providers.
>I'm lazy. I don't know if Jim does that or not.
>
>Below is my new signature. It is a little too long now and it should be
>shorter
>while still providing useful info.
>
>--
>Linux Totals: 45 devices in use
> 3 Android, 1 netbk, 1 laptp, 3 Dsktps, 32 Srvs, 5 others

When I was running the aforementioned alternate energy list, I always had it set to bounce anything from non members.  Yahoo Groups gave me some extra management tools.  If the user sent from the wrong email, they'd get the bounce back and generally figure it out and send again.  (Always save your sent mail.)  I was originally responding to out of place posts after the fact.  Inappropriate posts that were not spam but severely off topic or perhaps inflammatory got out of hand enough that I eventually went to full moderation.  A surprising number of spamsters, pornsters, adsters, phishers, and junksters would join with the specific purpose of posting ads or links to raunchy sites.  I wouldn't approve them, of course.  If they were that blatently abusive, I'd revoke their membership and put them on a blacklist so they couldn't rejoin with the same email.  There were a continual stream of new ones though.  Eventually the overhead got so great that I couldn't allocate the necessary time and I had to give it up.  Many moderators I've known require that you tell a bit about yourself to join, then moderate your first few posts.  But, there's no silver bullet way to deal with this, as far as I know.

Sincerely,

Ron