[ale] fyi - cheaper way to add a smart phone to verizon account

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Tue Jul 16 08:53:27 EDT 2013

Hi Greg,

I am potentially very interested in the plans by straighttalk.com (Walmart).  Since you mentioned it, I went to Walmart and talked to the guy in electronics.  He was very helpful.  They do have phones on Verizon.  You have to look for cdma-v on the package.  He said the technology is the same as verizon but all the customer service goes through straighttalk and sometimes that is sub par.  I might be willing to risk it though.  I could get a 3.5" android 4 phone with unlimited everything for me for $ 45 / mo.  He said it's really unlimited.  No tethering is allowed, and if they think you're abusing it, they can throttle your data or cut you off.  But, I wouldn't abuse it if that's the agreement I signed.  I can also get a dumb phone for my wife, which is all she wants, with 1000 minutes (currently have 750 shared) and 250 text messages, for $ 30 / mo.  So, for the same price, I get a smart phone with unlimited data and she gets more talk time and and text messages.  Sounds pretty cool.

Do you or anyone here have experience with straighttalk?  Verizon does have reasonable and accessible customer service, unless something goes badly wrong.  I suspect that if I port my number over to straighttalk, that it would be hard to get it back to verizon, but I could be wrong.  I also suspect I'd lose my family share plan forever.

Sincerely,

Ron