[ale] Riddle me this

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Mon Jul 15 09:50:12 EDT 2013

Netflix and 86-Linux support isn't a technical issue.
It is a cost-of-support, business decision, and perhaps contractual issue.

Linux on the desktop has never taken off with the numbers desired to have a
thriving business profit center for Adobe.  It is hard to justify spending
thousands of hours creating, distributing and supporting a platform where there
doesn't appear to be a future payback.  iOS/Apple's decision to end Flash
support was the initial nail in the coffin. The fact that Android is Linux is
the other, though a business case could be made to sell support for the 200M
Android devices.  I think internally, Adobe management wants Flash to die.

Then there are the contracts around commercial media offerings.  There are a few
Linux-based devices that support Netflix, but these have DRM built-into the
chip.  Look at the "WD-TV Live HD Plus" as a start. I suspect Roku does too.

Heck, Netflix servers are all Linux-based, so I'm fairly positive that the
Netflix engineers WANT to support Linux desktops, but again, it is a business
decision.

I can't blame any business for believing that the Linux market is small.  We are
a noisy group, but not in the normal ways.  We don't advertise like Apple or
Microsoft. 90% of the world has never seen or heard "Linux" before.  Until that
changes, support for Linux will really be limited to niche users, fed-up
businesses and servers.

I've been thinking of an easy way to let people know how many Linux users and
machines running Linux there are in the world .... perhaps the ALE group can be
the starting point?  I'll make another post about this idea soon to let all of
ALE see it better - not buried in another thread.  Basically, it is an
email-footer with a count of machines/devices running Linux.  It needs to be
simple, short, to the point.  I've had this footer for about 5 yrs myself:

--
Sent from Linux on a desktop, laptop, server or nokia tablet.

but I think we can do better - I need to add Android and counts; provide more
useful data and make it search-able without making it more than 72 characters.
Get it on Facebook, twitter, photos, AND emails.
Long footers suck. Sorry to those who feel your long footers are needed. Anyone
who knows you, should know the rules of contact already and doesn't need a
reminder with every email.  Just an opinion.

I like terrorPUP's footer. Short, to the point. No repeat of information.

I see a few others have responded too. Need to read those later.