[ale] [OT] Hobbies and Market Research

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 10:11:27 EDT 2013

Taking the hobby discussion one more step out with a confession and a
request.

Confession: My real hobby is learning. Currently Chinese, Wing Chun,
(re-learning) C, Coursera course in Startup Engineering, Git, Human
Interactions for the Introvert, Javascript, Rock Climbing, basics of
business, and Swimming.

I am continuing my education in scuba (most fun you can have with your
clothes on), PHP, Role-playing games, Bourne Shell scripting, Linux
Security, and having a moderately successful marriage.

Later this year I'm lining up for some more gun smithing (1911) and
action pistol competition. May also go back to Italian and fiction
writing. Probably not going back to banjo or guitar, but the temptation
is there.

Somewhere in there my natural inclinations to mentor and encourage come
into play with a lot of things. Learning how to do that better is always
a challenge.

That's why I occasionally just curl up with a book and let my brain
shutdown. The "Jack Reacher" books are my current favorites, although
they tie into my own plans for fiction writing, shooting, and a few
other things.

One of these days I'll learn to not add more stuff to my plate. Doesn't
look like today is that day, however.   :)

So, here's the request. I mentioned that encouragement is a big
motivator for me, and I'm in the Startup Engineering class. We're
supposed to make a project that gets crowd funded. While the project can
be a throw-away thing I'd rather do some market research and at least
find a minimally viable idea. That's where your help becomes vital.

Right now my idea is to create a program that sends you daily
encouragement, a list of upcoming events for your contact list, and a
short list of people you've not made contact with in a while. All of the
technology is available; the challenge is to make it easy to use and
worthwhile.

Technical goals are simple; the app must be secure- we will not harvest
contact information for ourselves or others. It must be simple to import
contacts (Facebook, G+, Phone) and events without doing a lot of
technical work or typing.

So, here are the questions that come to mind:

1. Is this sort of thing something you would find useful enough to spend
1 hour to get and set up, and 5-10 minutes a day using to contact people
you haven't contacted in a while?

2. What features would you want/expect?

3. If there was an option for a more features, what would you want in
exchange for $2-4 a month?

4. If you were a group; ALE, church, small business, what additional
features would you want?

Thanks!

Leam