[ale] OT CFL cleanup / LED light bulbs starting to become affordable

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Wed Jul 3 16:05:17 EDT 2013

Not trying to be controversial, but, Home Depot here in Cumming currently has an (or is it a) LED bulb on display connected to a Lutron dimmer.  You can dim the thing all the way down to 10-20% of full.  It's not quite as good as an incandescent, but close.  It was pretty cool.  It may be that this technology is very new and was not available in the recent past.

Also, when I was teaching electronics at DeVry, I had my students build an LED dimming circuit based feeding the LED a train of pulses of DC energy and controlling the pulse width.  Do that fast enough, and change the duty cycle of the pulses, and you can get the optical effect of dimming the LED almost down to nothing at all.  When the LED was on, it was fully on, but the optical effect at a low duty cycle appeared to be a dim bulb.  Whether anyone is using that technique, I have no idea.

Sincerely,

Ron