[ale] HELP! Mint machine is booting from the wrong hard drive

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Tue Jul 2 23:15:05 EDT 2013

Hi all,

One of my machines is running Mint 13 (based on Ubuntu 12.04).  The
machine has two hard drives, a 320 GB hard drive on /dev/sda and a 500
GB hard drive on /dev/sdb.  The 500 GB drive is for backup purposes
only.  Tonight, I made an exact clone (as far as I know) of the 320 GB
hdd over to the 500 GB hdd with clonezilla.  The 500 GB hdd is still
attached.

My bios is set to boot from the 320 GB drive (/dev/sda).  Once I boot,
the grub menu asks if I want to boot Mint on /dev/sda2, which is
correct.  I select that, but, when the system comes up, I find that the
500 GB hdd (/dev/sdB2) is the one that's mounted, and that's not what I
want.

Can someone tell me why this is happening and how to prevent it without
physically unplugging the drive?

Any help is always appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ron