[ale] selective DNS server for DHCP clients?

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Thu Feb 28 13:14:01 EST 2013

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013, Pete Hardie wrote:
> Thanks - I'll take a closer look and see if I can wrap my head around it.
> and to the list - I think that dnsmasq will do what I want, since it allows specification of a DNS server for the DHCP clients, and can be configured to not
> be the DNS server for the host, leaving it to use the router and ISP servers.

A friend of mine with various ages of children has chosen to incrementally
make internet access harder and harder. The two eldest children have
developed some serious network hacking skills as a result. His devious
goal was less about restricting access to online materials and activities
and more about learning how things worked.

His most recent step was physically unplugging at around 9-10pm
(time for bed),,.  and his 14 year old boy discovered "pringles can"
antenna technologies as a result.

The bad news, and why I know.. is he got enough signal to leach from my
house.. where he got sniffed and monitored. I'm not exactly next door, but
I am line of sight..