[ale] Fiber optic ethernet

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Thu Feb 28 12:15:36 EST 2013

Have you considered wireless? I have read a lot of people have had success with homemade "cantennas" or "WokFi" devices at distances longer than 400 feet. You're basically just using relatively cheap wi-fi devices and combining a can or parabolic cooking wok to isolate and/or amplify the signal you want. I've never tried it, but perhaps someone on the list has. It might be worth investigating before you spend a lot of money on fiber cable & switches, conduit, renting a trencher, etc. Google turns up lots of stuff.

Scott

NZ TV Station uses $10 woks instead of $20,000 commercial link, range up to 20km
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10425224