[ale] Preferred server dists

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Wed Feb 27 16:09:42 EST 2013

> On 02/27/2013 12:57 PM, Nolan Voight wrote:
>> New web project, setting up a new server for it, no need to carry over
>> what I'd set up before. Just making a quick survey--which distribution
>> do y'all prefer for a web-facing server? Debian was the most widely
>> preferred when I last changed things  several years ago.
>>
> Centos 6.3, by now you'll have figured out that this opinion is like ...
> Well you get the picture.

I'll toss Ubuntu bare LTS server in the mix, just because of the long
support cycle.. although I have to admit, based on Jim Kinney's recent
rants and explainations, I may try a Redhat (Centos?) boxen (it's
been a long time) next.

They key for a public facing web server is a long term stable supported
distro that you can manipulate. If you have the chops and yen for
Arch/Gentoo or Linux From Scratch, you would not be asking the question.

So: Pick a flavor you have the best skills with that fits the needs:
Debian-ish, Redhat-ish...  and give it a try. Don't like it? Consider it
an education and re-install.