[ale] selective DNS server for DHCP clients?

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 14:02:24 EST 2013

Hello all,

After another round of disagreements concerning homework, I've determined
that my daughter can't resist the lure of time-wasting Internet sites.  The
wrinkle is that she has a school-issued laptop, so I can't install anything
on it to block access to the time-sinks.  So here's what I think I can do,
and I need to know if it's possible:

I already have a DHCP server on my desktop, providing fixed IPs and a
different DNS server for my ReplayTV boxen.  I'd like to target her
laptop's DNS to one running on my desktop, without using that one as my
desktop's DNS (I can use the router)

I also need a good tutorial on DNS servers - I have dnsmasq, which seems
like it might work for my purposes - have the sites I need to block be
mapped to 127.0.0.1 for her laptop, while letting the rest to resolve
normally

So is this feasible?  If not, is there a good alternative?

TIA,

Pete Hardie
--------
Better Living Through Bitmaps