[ale] WAY [OT] but geeky - how do I calibrate GPS barometric altimeter

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Mon Feb 25 17:53:02 EST 2013

Hi all,

I just got my hands on a neat Garmin Etrex Vista H handheld GPS on
clearance for hiking trails and such.  It has a barometric altimeter
that I wish to calibrate.  I have to either enter an accurate known
barometric pressure; or I have to enter an accurate known elevation.

I've checked Weatherbug (for Cumming, GA), The Weather Channel, and the
Firefox ForecastFox plugin.

The barometric pressure readings are: 29.85, 29.92, and 29.90.  As I
understand it, these variations would be enough to create altimeter
reading differences of around 70 feet.

I can't necessarily use my weather station as a good barometric pressure
gauge, since it depends on elevation.  (I usually calibrate that
instrument by putting in the barometric pressure from The Weather Channel.)

I don't know the exact elevation of my house, nor the exact elevation at
the trail at the park.

I can calibrate to GPS elevation, but that's not very accurate.

Garmin says the altimeter is accurate to 10 feet if properly
calibrated.  Of course, it will change with the weather.

So, how can I determine accurate barometric pressure for a location, or
accurate elevation, so I can calibrate this thing?  Is there a way to
get elevation from google maps, or something?

Note, this is not critical, not life threatening if I don't find the
answer, not even exceedingly important.  But, I just want to get the
most usage out of the device that I can.  And, you guys are a great
source of geeky information of all sorts.

Any help, as always, is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ron