[ale] [OT] IT Nostalgia

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 22:53:19 EST 2013

All of my pre-computer typesetting work was done with manual paste-up.
Match type and cut words and letters and artwork out by hand, paste down
with appropriate adhesives to make a master and reproduce with a
mimeograph, lithograph or silkscreen. It was still a opto-chemical process
on the silkscreen as I used a photoresist process.

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Justin W Elam <justin.w.elam at gmail.com>wrote:

> Both Linotype, Off-set, and Block type are " lost arts " as  everything
> now is electronic and 'online'.
>
> There are only a few firms still doing it today.
>
> My uncle did offset, binding, and other small jobs.  My aunt did Linotype,
> and eventually moved to doing Adobe ® typography.
>
> My other uncle did newspaper compositing.  And another did Paper Mill
> management.
>
> Now With a click of a mouse, a few terminal commands, a few keys turned,
> and a few lighted buttons pressed.  Allows the paper to be heated, pressed,
> rolled, cut, shipped, and eventually printed and delivered to the newsrack
> or your home  with the scores, articles, photographs, and comment from last
> night's big event.
>
> How many more professions are becoming lost arts due to digitalization and
> technology?
>
> ###

James P. Kinney III
*