[ale] [OT] White House Petition to Legalize Mobile-Phone Unlocking

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+ale at betteradmin.com
Fri Feb 22 19:20:32 EST 2013

Why should you need to ask permission to unlock your phone?  You paid
for it.  If you want to break the contract that's fine, but you would
be subject to a termination fee which should cover the subsidy.  And
since most contracts already have large termination fees, they can't
argue that it's about that.

Worse is that the phone is still locked after the contract is over.
If I want to sell my old phone, I need to hope that the phone company
will give their blessing, and many have rules that you must have an
active account, it must be in good standing, etc... in order to unlock
it.  This is *after* you have paid off the contract and probably
signed onto a new one with a new device.

The only reason is to increase the friction for you leaving for
another carrier, and that is anti-consumer and can only happen in an
oligopolistic market.

❧ Brian Mathis

P.S. Why does my phone bill not go down after I have supposedly paid
off the subsidy?  Because the prices of non-contract phones are
inflated on purpose as an incentive to sign a contract.