[ale] Hard Drive Failures

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Feb 21 20:04:45 EST 2013

Agree mostly.  Disagree slightly.

I agree that the best solution is to be unconcerned over a drive failure.  But, it's very hard to do in the real world, at least from my perspective.  Let me say that my PC's backup data online every 6 hours.  If my drive pukes, I won't lose much data.

What I will lose is a good amount of sleep and hassle.  I far and away prefer to have image backups versus any other kind.  If the drive did puke, and I didn't have a recent image, it would take me probably a week to reinstall the os, reinstall all the apps, configure all the apps, install plugins in the apps, configure all the plugins on all the apps, and do all the system tweaks that I want to make the machine run the way I want.  It would probably take me another few days to get all my email restored, and rebuild all my filters to filter 10's of thousands of messages.

On the other hand, let's say I had cloned the hdd last night.  I swap in the cloned drive, and I'm literally back up and running within 15 minutes.  I just restore the latest data from my online backup, download any recent email, and re do anything else I remember that occurred since the last online backup up to 6 hours ago.

Relatively simple and painless.  If I can use something like Spinrite to recover the drive, even if it's just to clone it to a replacement drive.  Then I don't lose any data or have to do any reconfiguration.

The problem comes into play because I don't clone my drive every night.  I don't like to leave the backup media attached, since a virus or electrical problem could take it out.  So, I prefer to attach the backup media only when I clone the drive.  Also, I have to reboot the machine and boot from a CD to do the imaging, then reboot the machine to use it again.

The end result is that my image backups don't get done too often, particularly with 4 PC's.  So, if I could find a way to automatically clone each PC's hard drive every night, or at least every week, and automatically detach and shut down the backup media when done, and reattach it when the next clone job is due, then I could be in a position to really not care too much if a drive fails.  If I could get snapshot versions like JD has mentioned elsewhere in this thread, so much the better.  My number one goal for my backup is to enable me to restore a complete system, including all data, all applications, and all settings, either within 15 minutes, or at most within a few hours.

Sincerely,

Ron