[ale] what happens to vm if host reboots

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Sat Feb 16 10:03:04 EST 2013

Hi JD, Phil T, and Jim K, and others,

Thanks for the prior responses to this.  I thought I'd post a small update.  For now, I've just disabled automatic patch installation for the PC in question.  Maybe later, I can figure out how to have the VM shut down properly before the host shuts down.  When I went back to the virtualbox control panel on the host pc after the forced reboot, the status said the VM had been aborted.  That didn't sound good.  The VM rebooted OK and the virtual HDD seems OK.  But, I obviously want to avoid such aborts.

The questions of why run Windows, or run Windows in a VM on a Linux host are valid questions.  In this group, I wouldn't expect anyone to be endorsing Windows, nor would I try to convince you to run it.  However, I thought I'd provide a bit of explanation of my scenario.

I've been running Windows ever since it was invented.  Since long before, in my opinion, Linux on the desktop had a viable gui and maintenance and installation routine for the AVERAGE user.  Since Ubuntu came about in 2006 or so, and particularly, more recently, Linux on the desktop is much more viable for the average user.  I consider myself above average in terms of technology.  However, I do prefer a nice GUI and minimal hassle installing and maintaining a system.  Modern Linux desktops are an acceptable replacement for Windows in most cases.  However, I reference my recent thread when I was complaining about lack of control over my experience I get on things like Unity and Windows 8.

The fact is, Windows 7 does 100% of what I want a PC to do, since everything out there is designed to be compatible with it.  My Linux situation is in flux, since I'm in the process of firing Ubuntu and moving to Mint.  Yes, I know it's Ubuntu under the covers.  Anyway, my experience with Ubuntu 11.04 and with the Mint Live DVD's indicates that Linux does about 85% - 90% of what I want a PC to do.

The main areas where Linux falls short are the devices I attach to these PC's, which often, work only with Windows to have all of their functionality.  Some require Windows to have any functionality.  These include an automotive GPS, ebook reader, weather display device, and a scanner.  Also, the machines associated with and attached to my work table run through a vga usb kvm.  One machine, when running Linux, ALWAYS mis characterizes my 1920 x 1080 external monitor and limits my screen to 1024 x 768.  It drives me insane.

Anyway, Windows 7 works flawlessly in all these cases.  So, at this point, I still plan to run Windows as my primary system, while dual booting Linux and / or running it in a VM for learning purposes and experimentation or maintenance with things that Windows cannot do.  I also don't have any licenses to install any other copies of Windows.

I will say this, with all the exploits being revealed in Windows, Adobe, Java, etc., I am becoming more motivated to try to move to a Linux primary and Windows secondary environment.  However, in my case, it's not at all a simple task.  I use each of my computers for different purposes.

Sincerely,

Ron