[ale] [OT] Fwd: Open source coms to your Ford CAN bus

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Wed Feb 6 10:53:08 EST 2013

When reading this, my first thought was about how many existing hacks were
against vehicles and how did they plan to patch all vehicles 12 times a year as
new ones were discovered.

Would patching even help when the protocols are implemented in hardware?

In 2010, hacks against those tire pressure reporting systems were announced:
http://arstechnica.com/security/2010/08/cars-hacked-through-wireless-tyre-sensors/
"Earlier in the year, researchers from the University of Washington and
University of California San Diego showed that the ECUs could be hacked, giving
attackers the ability to be both annoying, by enabling wipers or honking the
horn, and dangerous, by disabling the brakes or jamming the accelerator."

I am concerned. Very concerned.  Even if they use unique. local-only, wired,
certificate-based encrypted connections, I'm still afraid.