[ale] public sharing of folders on linux - newbie question

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Wed Feb 6 09:46:19 EST 2013

You shouldn't use "ftp" for anything outside your network.   It does its work (including user/password) in clear text.

If the idea is to "transfer" files rather than "share a filesystem" then scp/sftp is more secure as it uses the ssh encryption.   Also if you set up trusts you don't have to use passwords for it.   The encryption/decryption does make things slower than ftp but generally security should be more of a concern than speed.
If you have the need to get a file from UNIX/Linux on your Windoze machine you can install WinSCP for the purpose as it understands scp/sftp and even ftp.