[ale] UPS

Sean Kilpatrick kilpatms at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 15:46:50 EST 2013

I was away this past weekend.  When we got back Sunday afternoon the UPS
that protects my box was buzzing. Although the computer and monitor were
both turned off, the idiot light was blinking to indicate an overload!

Testing indicated that the innards were fried, so replacing the nearly
dead batteries wasn't going to help.  (The unit was at least six years
old.)  This is somewhat odd, as no other electronics (all buffered by
lightweight surge protectors) seem to be damaged: router, switches/hubs,
printer, stereo, TVs, etc.

So I could use some advice: get another uninterrupted power supply from
APC or try a different brand?

Sean