[ale] Presentation challenge

Jay Lozier jslozier at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 12:26:36 EST 2013

On 02/02/2013 02:49 AM, JD wrote:
> Ron,
>
> Installing a GUI on Linux isn't a big deal. It is like installing any
> other program. Heck, install both Mate and Cinnamon and try them out.
> It is just a PPA for each, then you choose which you like to run at login.
> Of course, I'd test out each GUI in a different user account to limit
> setting collisions in the ~/.config/ and other dirs under $HOME.
>
> PPAs really are nice, provided the person managing it is competent,
> trustworthy and maintains it against the main distro repositories.
>
> Not a big deal at all. Just a few minutes to install on a fast
> connection. If you don't like a GUI, remove it from the system.
>
> "Control panel" what's that? Settings are usually maintained in text
> files under ~/.config/ No need for a GUI to manage them, though
> sometimes the XML is easier to handle with some GUI tool. This isn't
> MS-Windows, the tools are hardly mandatory.
>
> Am I overstating how easy this is? Anyone?

+1

Without looking at Synaptic in Mint (or Ubuntu) I believe you can
install Mate, KDE, LXDE, Enlightenment 17, XFCE from the main
repositories for Mint. I believe you must add the repositories for
Cinnamon and Mate (both are from Mint) for Ubuntu and the others are
available from the main Ubuntu repositories.

> [...]
>         https://launchpad.net/~gwendal-lebihan-dev/+archive/cinnamon-stable
>         <https://launchpad.net/%7Egwendal-lebihan-dev/+archive/cinnamon-stable>
>         <https://launchpad.net/%7Egwendal-lebihan-dev/+archive/cinnamon-stable>
>         <https://launchpad.net/%7Egwendal-lebihan-dev/+archive/cinnamon-stable%3E>;
>         The instructions to install are Add Repo: sudo
>         add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
>         sudo apt-get update Install: sudo apt-get install cinnamon
>         Logout and Change the session to Cinnamon. On 02/01/2013 01:08
>         PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
>
>             I wouldn't mind a presentation on Mint, or on installing
>             Mate or
>
>         Cinnamon on Ubuntu. Since my Ubuntu 11.04 expired, I have to
>         figure out whether to fire them and go to Mint or try to put
>         Mate or Cinnamon on Ubuntu 12.04.
>
>             Sincerely, Ron Jim Lynch <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com>
>             wrote:
>
>                 On 02/01/2013 08:20 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
>
>                     Is mint a desktop or a distro? I would put it in
>                     the desktop group.
>
>                 I guess I've never seen a discussion of the difference
>                 but since
>
>         Mint
>
>                 doesn't offer a specific server edition, I'll agree
>                 with you. Most
>
>         of
>
>                 Mint specific repos are GUI related. Jim.
>
>             -- Sent from my Android Acer A500 tablet with bluetooth
>             keyboard and K-9
>
>         Mail.
>
>             Please excuse my potential brevity. (To whom it may
>             concern. My email address has changed. Replying to
>
>         former
>
>             messages prior to 03/31/12 with my personal address will
>             go to the
>
>         wrong
>
>             address. Please send all personal correspondence to the new
>
>         address.)
>
>             (PS - If you email me and don't get a quick response, you
>             might want

>             call on the phone. I get about 300 emails per day from
>             alternate
>
>         energy
>
>             mailing lists and such. I don't always see new email
>             messages very
>
>         quickly.)< br />
>
>             Ron Frazier 770-205-9422 (O) Leave a message. linuxdude AT
>             techstarship.com <http://techstarship.com>
>
>     --
>
>     Sent from my Android Acer A500 tablet with bluetooth keyboard and K-9 Mail.
>     Please excuse my potential brevity.
>
>     (To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
>     messages prior to 03/31/12 with my personal address will go to the wrong
>     address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)
>
>     (PS - If y
>       ou
>     email me and don't get a quick response, you might want to
>     call on the phone.  I get about 300 emails per day from alternate energy
>     mailing lists and such.  I don't always see new email messages very quickly.)

Jay Lozier
jslozier at gmail.com