[ale] [OT] how do I convert this web based book to pdf or doc

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Fri Feb 1 14:38:16 EST 2013

Hi James,

I appreciate the resources you and others mentioned.  I guess I'll have to learn a bit more about it if I face this type of problem again.  Perhaps I was in too much of a hurry to print it and didn't take enough time learning about these tools.  If this thing had been available in print, I would have just bought it.  In the case of things like O'Reilly books, I would just buy the book if I needed it, or perhaps buy the book and get the ebook.  It's still a mystery why I couldn't even read the CHM file until I had imported it into Calibre.

When I can afford a tablet the size of a textbook and the weight of an ipad, that allows me to highlight, notate, dog ear, and flag pages in the ebook file, then maybe I wouldn't print it  But, even so, it's still handy to have paper print outs of certain pages / sections for reference while you're reading the ebook.

Sincerely,

Ron

James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com> wrote:

>What you linked to isn't really an "ebook". Yeah, it's digital content
>and they call it a "book," but eBooks have very specific formats.
>Those formats _are_ just HTML/XHTML, but the files are organized
>according to a standard. This website does not follow that standard at
>all. The links I gave you should have made the process easier. 1)
>Convert the CHM to HTML, 2) convert the HTML to PDF, and 3) print the
>PDF. I believe you could have converted directly to PDF with the first
>tool; but I've never used it.
>
>As for people making eBooks easier to print -- good luck. The standard
>isn't designed for such, and it's a copyright violation. DRM free
>eBooks (e.g. all O'Reilly eBooks) are only DRM free so that you can
>use them on any _electronic_ device you wish to read it on. They're
>not DRM free so that you can print them.
>
>That being said, using the second tool I linked to, Pandoc, you could
>probably have made it even easier to print. Use Pandoc to convert the
>HTML to LaTeX, which should strip out the circular links, and then
>render the LaTeX to PDF.
>
>On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 1:38 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE)
><atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Just thought I'd post an update.  My main objective was to be able to
>download and print the ebook.  They provide it in a CHM format, but I
>could never read it for some reason.  I installed Calibre, then
>imported the chm file and then saved it back out.  Now, for some
>reason, I'm able to read it natively in Windows.  I printed it from
>there, which was somewhat of a nightmare.  I had to go to each major
>topic page in the table of contents then print it.  Fortunately, the
>print screen has an option to also print all linked documents one level
>down in the hierarchy.  So, by printing each main topic, I was also
>able to get almost all the sub topics.  Of course, each page also
>linked to the previous and next topic, as well as things like the
>company home page, etc., so I had a lot of redundant content that I
>threw into the recycle bin.  But, over a period of a few hours, I got
>it printed.  I took it to office max and had it bound.  It turned out
>to be 5 volumes each about 3/4" !
> th!
>>  ick printed on my laser printer single sided.  Now I have to set
>about learning the topic that's documented in the book, which relates
>to a specialized currency trading platform.  There was no way I was
>going to try to read all that on my computer monitor.
>>
>> Maybe later, I'll get around to finishing converting this to PDF,
>RTF, or EPub, but I couldn't figure that out with a cursory review of
>the Calibre menus.  If any of you are thinking of publishing an ebook,
>PLEASE PLEASE make it printable in one simple procedure.  I still have
>to go through and hand number the pages and correlate that to the table
>of contents.  I'm glad this info was provided to me free on the website
> [...]

Please excuse my potential brevity.

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com