[ale] [OT] how do I convert this web based book to pdf or doc

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Fri Feb 1 13:38:19 EST 2013

Hi all,

Just thought I'd post an update.  My main objective was to be able to download and print the ebook.  They provide it in a CHM format, but I could never read it for some reason.  I installed Calibre, then imported the chm file and then saved it back out.  Now, for some reason, I'm able to read it natively in Windows.  I printed it from there, which was somewhat of a nightmare.  I had to go to each major topic page in the table of contents then print it.  Fortunately, the print screen has an option to also print all linked documents one level down in the hierarchy.  So, by printing each main topic, I was also able to get almost all the sub topics.  Of course, each page also linked to the previous and next topic, as well as things like the company home page, etc., so I had a lot of redundant content that I threw into the recycle bin.  But, over a period of a few hours, I got it printed.  I took it to office max and had it bound.  It turned out to be 5 volumes each about 3/4" thick printed on my laser printer single sided.  Now I have to set about learning the topic that's documented in the book, which relates to a specialized currency trading platform.  There was no way I was going to try to read all that on my computer monitor.

Maybe later, I'll get around to finishing converting this to PDF, RTF, or EPub, but I couldn't figure that out with a cursory review of the Calibre menus.  If any of you are thinking of publishing an ebook, PLEASE PLEASE make it printable in one simple procedure.  I still have to go through and hand number the pages and correlate that to the table of contents.  I'm glad this info was provided to me free on the website by the software maker, but it has not been free in either time or supplies to get it into printed form.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Sincerely,

Ron